Description of the surroundings:
Portorož is the most famous tourist town in Slovenia, and has over hundred years old healing tradition. As a health resort Portorož was locally known since the 13th century. At that time, Benedictine monks from St. Lawrence has already treated some diseases by using sea water and mud from the nearby saltpans.
Portorož has a Mediterranean climate with unspoiled nature, lots of greenery and the healthy sea air. It offers entertainment, relaxation, recreation, spa wellness center, a business centers for conferences, cycling routes and beautiful sunsets.
You can visit nature parks: salt pans Sečovlje, which produces high-quality sea salt (available for buying), with UNESCO protected nature park Strunjan and untouched nature along the valley of river Dragonja.
A short distance away is a health spa »Terme - Wellness Portorož« where you can have salt water and mud baths, saunas, massages and spa treatments.
There are many wonderful restaurants that specialize in locally caught seafood specialtys, home cooking and world class dining. Portorož offers sports activities; swimming, sailing, wind surfing, beach volleyball, mini golf, tennis and hiking. Night entertainment can be quiet a lively. A romantic walk through the old Venetian city of Piran by the Adriatic shore, visit the auditorium and theatre, go dancing and listen to live music.
Attractions in the vicinity / worth visiting:
- A very nice historical town of Piran (2 km)
- Sečovlje saltpans - salt fields and the production of high quality sea salt (2 km)
- Nature Park a wetland Škocjan in Koper (species of birds, the possibility of obsercation) (15 km)
- Nature Park Strunjan - protected by UNESCO (1,5 km)
- Istrian hinterland with villages and good local restaurants
- seaside walking trails
- biking trails
- Famous caves: Škocjan Cave and Postojna Cave (40-80 km)
- Predjama castle (40 km)
- Lipica Stud Farm (40 km)
- The old town center of the capital city of Ljubljana (120 km)
- One-day Trip to Venice by fast boat from Piran